Friday, August 8, 2008

Final Year in College

Year 1999. Y2K is hot in air. just talking with friends
Software industry is having a lot of changes. Both speculations are in market. Y2K is being seen as a big problem which might wash off the IT being a risk business, or, it might create a new era where old code will go away and a lot of people are required to create new code, Wow that would be great...
Few months later ---------
Bad luck, Dot com bubble busted and IT industry has stopped hiring people. Friends, who got selected in Campus, have received letter of delay in their joining. I am in non-IT branch. I was too much interested in computer and so didn't try much in core companies. Now what would happen. Does real world change so fast? It is a hard reality.
-Hey! a new company is coming.
-Which one?
-Some NITI (don't remember the name).
-What?
-Ya, it gives coaching for selection in IIT.
-(If I can teach that why would I be in IET? Anyway lets try)..Great, you are sitting for it?
-Ya, sure. Why not? What else I have?
(none in our group was able to get a job from Campus, though we were in top 10, sometime study sucks :( )
One week later -----
I got selected in NITI. Didn't wanted to join so went on for interview contest for one month. I traveled to Bombay, Ahemedabad for trying my luck in few govt and pub sector companies and for one MBA in Economics.
I got selected for M.Tech in IIT. Fine if no job then M.Tech. IIT has its name. Once completed I will sure have a good job in hand. Till then - Study more. I was having a good grades in my batch, I need to show same performance going forward. Let's see if I could match other IITians for it.

Lessons learnt -
Diversify your interests and choices. If you stuck to only one thing, it might turn you into failure.

No comments: